Pages

8.04.2011

A Day In the Life

For those of you who remotely care, here's what I've been up to the past few weeks. Basically, I've been reconnecting with old friends from the last time I studied here, eating stupid amounts of food, and learning as much Korean as I can before my language course placement test. I also just started an internship at the North Korean Human Rights Database, which interviews North Korean defectors to gather information about human rights violations in North Korea.


I haven't done anything super "touristy" or picture worthy yet, but here are some random pictures from a few of my days. Mostly I've been eating. So here are lots of pictures of dirt-cheap, unbelievable food and the occasional picture of roads taken to get there.

Hopefully there will be some more interesting shenanigans to come
...




Road outside the house I'm staying in: a very typical Korean suburb.
IMG_0243



Lunch at a Korean high school...much healthier than what I ate in high school.
IMG_0574




Chilled buckwheat noodles with a soy broth.
IMG_0575




Kimchi, pickled cucumbers, sweet potato, and spicy rice cakes.
IMG_0578


The bridge into Seoul.
IMG_0214




IMG_0254



More chilled noodles (it's absurdly humid in the Summer here).
Naengmyun - noodles with cucumber, pear, and a tangy broth.
IMG_0269



Comes with a side of charcoal-grilled beef.
IMG_0274



"Fist rice." You get gloves and make your own rice balls.
IMG_0270




Voila.
IMG_0275



The trendy drink of the summer...bags of booze.
IMG_0280



And dinner. The greatest meal in the world: Korean barbecue
IMG_0196_2.



Steamed eggs with scallions and seaweed soup (which is exactly what it sounds like)
IMG_0198_2



Grilled pork with garlic.
IMG_0200_2




I'm not fat yet, but am well on my way!






3 comments:

  1. Bags O' Booze look like the best 18+ capri suns to ever have been invented. Also why is yours green?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...because I asked for PBR in a bag but they didn't have any. So of course the logical next choice is Green Apple.

    ReplyDelete